We use affiliate links and may receive a small commission on purchases. Please read our disclosure.
I have tried many backpacks made by all the most trusted backpack manufacturers over the years. Without a doubt, my best experience has been wearing Osprey backpacks. They are super comfortable, breathable, hug tight to the body, and I find that I don’t feel like I am carrying a heavy weight on my back. The amount of thought and detail that goes into their designs is very noticeable.
In this guide, we cover the newest and best Osprey backpacks that you can get for the 2021 hiking season!
Table of Contents
- Best mini Osprey packs (under 20 liters)
- Best Osprey daypacks
- Best Osprey backpacking packs
- Baby / Child carrier backpack
Best mini Osprey packs (under 20 liters)
Sometimes, it is nice to go light and minimal. If you are hitting the trails for just a few hours you likely won’t need to carry as much with you. When I do a local hike close to home I will carry some snacks, water, keys, wallet, phone, and a lightweight extra layer just in case. That’s about it. For short hikes, I like to use a small backpack or a fanny (aka waist) pack.
Daylite Waist Pack (2 liters)
Sometimes, carrying less is a better experience. If I am going to go out and do a local hike, I might just take my fanny pack aka bum bag. It can easily fit a water bottle, my keys, my wallet, snacks, a lightweight extra layer, and a few other items. It totally feels free and liberating to go light. The Daylite waist pack will give you that feeling out on the trails or even for a cruise around town.
- DWR coated for weather resistance
- Zippered main compartment
- Internal mesh organizer and key clip
Empower your child with a kid size backpack. They can bring their own snacks and essentials in their very own backpack. This is good for the kids and the parents! The Daylite Kids backpack is durable, good looking, and is 10 liters in total volume.
- Ventilated back panel
- Dual side mesh pockets for water bottles or treasures
- Mesh harness
- Front pocket with key clip
- Built-in whistle
If you like to use hydration reservoirs to stay hydrated the Skimmer 16 is a great option for women.
- Women fit and sizing
- Includes Osprey Hydraulics LT 2.5L reservoir
- Mesh side pockets
- Classic design wth wide mouth for easy access
- Internal zipper pocket to stash keys, wallet, phone
Check REI price: Skimmer 16
This is the exact same pack as the Skimmer 16 for women, just designed to better fit a man’s shape.
Check REI price: Skarab 18
It may be small, but the Hikelite 18 doesn’t hold back on great features compared to most competitors in this small daypack category. This pack will help you move fast on your feet and help you carry the bare essentials.
- Integrated rain cover for weather resistance
- Airspeed back panel improves ventilation and comfort
- Trekking pole attachment
- Mesh side pockets for quick stashing of essentials
- Internal hydration sleeve (3 liter capacity)
- Upper side compression straps
- Sternum strap with whistle
The Osprey Daylite and the Daylite Plus are the most popular Osprey backpacks. At least, they are searched for the most on Google. This series provides a sturdy and streamline design. Use it for doing errands around town, global travel, or for short day hikes. It’s small size and simplicity makes it a versatile bag.
- Coated with a PFC-free DWR treatment for weather protection
- Constructed with bluesign approved fabrics
- Sleeve for a hydration reservoir, 15” laptop, or tablet
- Compression straps
- Front panel zipper pocket on Daylite Plus
Best Osprey daypacks
For longer day hikes it is recommended to get a backpack that had greater capacity (in liters) and that is specifically designed for the most comfort and stability. Below, we outline the most popular Osprey daypacks for longer days out on the hiking trails.
The Osprey Tempest 20 for women and Talon 22 for men are some of the most popular Osprey backpacks. It is a lightweight yet versatile backpack with many attachment points, a comfortable hip belt, and other great features. This pack is designed for fast movement and stability. If you want more space you can get these backpacks in larger sizes.
- Made of durable, bluesign approved recycled nylon fabric
- AirScape back panel with air channels for ventilation and comfort
- Biostretch harness and hip belt keeps your load steady and stable
- Harness system adjusts to fit different torsos
- Two side pockets on hip belt to store essentials, sunblock, etc
- Adjustable sternum strap with safety whistle
- Attachments for trekking poles, an ice axe, a helmet, or light
- Dual zippered panel to access main compartment
- Hydration reservoir sleeve
- Mesh side pockets for easy stashing
- Low side compression straps
- Large stretchy front panel pocket
The Stratos 24 and Sirrus 24 backpacks are amazing. Probably, the most comfortable daypack you can buy.
I own the Osprey Stratos 24 and use it for all of my full-day hikes. It is the best daypack I have ever owned. Highly recommended!
The feature that I love the most is the AirSpeed suspension, a ventilated mesh back panel that keeps the pack off my back. I can run hot, and I hike in hot dry weather here in Colorado. Not only do I remain dry and comfortable, but somehow, no matter how much I stuff into this pack, it seems light as a feather. Almost like air! I rate this the best Osprey backpack for long day hikes.
- AirSpeed suspension for the best ventilation possible
- Integrated rain cover for weather resistance
- Dual side compression straps
- Trekking pole attachment
- Ice tool/axe loop with bungie tie-off
- Two zippered hip belt pockets for handy storage
- Internal hydration reservoir sleeve (I own the 3 Liters Osprey Hydraulics Reservoir)
- Dual zippered access to main compartment
- Large outside zippered stash compartment
- Safety whistle integrated into sternum strap
- Custom torso size adjustability
Check out all the Osprey daypacks at: REI.com | Osprey.com
Best Osprey backpacking packs
Backpacking trips require a totally different type of backpack. Of course they are bigger so that you can carry more gear. More importantly, the best backpacking backpacks are going to help you manage heavier loads and keep you stable on varied and technical terrain. Osprey backpacking packs are awesome because they hug close to your body. This design feature helps you conserve your energy and generally feel more comfortable carrying extra weight over long days.
The Osprey Aether Plus for men and Ariel Plus for women are new backpacking packs for 2021. They are perfect all-around backpacks for your backpacking adventures for both weekend trips, week long excursions, or for even longer periods of time out on the trail.
Each is available in multiple volume capacities: 55L/60L/65L/85L for men and 55L/65L/70L for women. Anticipate how much weight you plan to carry with you on average, and then match it up to the appropriate size of backpack. Each backpack is available in two different torso sizes: S/M and L/XL for men and XS/SM and M/L for women. This is the start to getting a truly custom fit.
These backpacks are quickly customized and will allow you to dial into a perfect fit for your body and shape. The shoulder harness moves up or down and can be locked into place with straps. Shoulder strap length can also be adjusted on the fly for a custom fit. The hip belt can be easily adjusted to accommodate different waist sizes.
- AirScape back panel is breathable
- Removable day lid (on larger packs) converts to a day pack
- Flap jacket cover for lidless use
- PFC-free DWR rain cover for extra weather resistance
- Dual hip belt zipper pockets
- Front shove it pocket
- Dual front zipper pockets
- Large front panel zip to main compartment
- Large dual side stretch mesh water bottle pockets
- Dual upper and lower compression straps
- Dual front panel compression straps
- Zipper sleeping bag compartment
- Removable sleeping pad straps
- Internal hydration water reservoir sleeve
- Ice axe attachment
- Trekking pole attachments
Check REI price: Osprey Aether Plus | Osprey Aeriel Plus
The Osprey Atmos AG for men and Aura AG for women are great for backpacking trips longer than a week. The AntiGravity suspension is designed to make it feel like you are carrying much less weight that what is actually inside. I have experienced exactly that with my Osprey Stratos 24. It is like magic. The pack seamlessly wraps around your body to keep you stable on your feet which will help conserve energy. From the top of the pack to the bottom of the hip belt, the AntiGravity back panel wraps around your body. with lightweight mesh that delivers maximum ventilation and comfort.
- Anti-gravity suspension reduces the feeling of heavy weight
- Removable top lid
- Integrated FlapJacket (for when you remove top lid) secures the pack
- Easy to use trekking pole attachments
- Adjustable harness and hip belt to customize fit
- Two zipper hip belt pockets for easy stashing of snacks or often used essentials (say sunblock)
- Internal hydration reservoir sleeve
- Front stretch mesh pocket to stash key items
- Dual access stretch mesh side pockets for water bottles
- Upper and lower side compression straps
- Lower zippered easy access and store sleeping bag compartment
- Ice axe loops and attachments
- Sleeping pad straps
- Sternum strap with emergency whistle
Check REI Price: Osprey Atmos AG | Osprey Aura AG
Baby / Child carrier backpack
If you have a baby or toddler you can get a child carrier so that you the parent are feeling comfortable, organized, and safe carrying your child out on the trails.
Once your baby has grown and is too big for other carriers you can transition to using a child carrier like the Poco Plus. The benefit is that you can carry your child, plus all your child care supplies, snacks, and other essentials in one package.
- Comfortable contoured hip belt with pockets
- Cockpit with adjustable double halo harness and child seat
- Soft contact surfaces won’t irritate your child’s skin
- Ventilated side panels
- Built-in sun shade (UPF 50+ UV sun protection, and great for napping!)
- Adjustable (and removable) stirrups
- Lightweight folding aluminum frame
- Dual grab handles
- Hydration reservoir sleeve
- Super cool and ventilated AirSpeed suspension
- Adjustable torso fits all parent sizes
- Lower zippered stash compartment
- Stretch mesh stash pockets
Check REI price: Osprey Poco Plus