This is our guide to the best hiking sandals for women. We have reviewed all the top sellers made by all the best brands and these are our top picks for women to get in 2019.
The technology of sandals has advanced a lot since Teva popularized a more rugged, waterproof sandal that was designed specifically for the outdoors. Hiking sandals, are more comfortable, durable and have better traction than ever. Thus in certain conditions, sandals may be a better option than your hiking boots and shoes.
When hiking sandals are a good option:
- Lower elevations and easier flatter trails
- Hiking trails that are less rocky (butter soft dirt trails)
- Hikes that you expect to encounter water or wet conditions
- Backup footwear (campsite) on long hikes and trekking adventures
In our in-depth hiking sandals guide, we discussed the top considerations to keep in mind when choosing sandals. Let’s quickly review what you should think about when picking a hiking sandal.
Choosing the best hiking sandals (what to think about)
- The Fit: Make sure your foot isn’t sliding around and that the straps work to keep your foot snug
- Comfort: Arch support; cushioning; Shock resistance
- Traction: Look for sturdy soles and rugged treads
- Toe Protection: open toe (easy going trails) vs. closed toe (more rugged trails)
- Durability: Look for Vibram soles
- Coverage: Some sandals have more coverage over the foot while others are more open
- Use/Versatility: Sandals that are more casual and less rugged will not be as versatile
- Waterproof or not: Is it important to keep your feet dry (think about where you are headed)
- Socks vs. no socks: Socks might be a good idea if you are planning to use the sandals on long distances
- Can be re-soled: Pick a pair that can be re-soled for better value and a longer life span
The top brands of hiking sandals for women:
Okay, we know how to choose the best hiking sandals for different hiking scenarios. And, we know the best brands that focus on making sandals that can handle rugged terrain.
After great scrutiny, we think that these are the best hiking sandals women can buy in 2019.
All of these sandals are great for hiking. Some offer more protection and support while others are more lightweight. Pick out a sandal according to your needs.
Top 10 Best Hiking Sandals For Women (2019 Guide)
1) KEEN WOMEN’S NEWPORT H2
- Rugged and versatile
- Toe protection
- Multi-directional lug pattern in the tread for great traction
- Comfortable (and washable) webbing upper
- Drawstring bungee lacing provides a snug fit on the foot
- Great sandal for water
- Stability shank
- The footbed is designed to cradle the foot
- Materials used to provide natural odor control
Why get this hiking sandal? One of the most rugged and durable sandal with toe protection.
2) TEVA TERRA FI 5 SPORT
- Aggressive hiking sandal
- Comfortable foam uppers
- Water-friendly design dries fast
- Durabrasion and sticky Spider rubber outsole grips and supports in wet and dry environments
- Open toe (some prefer the freedom)
- Amazing cushioning from polyurethane (PU) midsole
- Hook and loop closure allows you to get in and out of the sandal easily
Why get this hiking sandal? A super rugged sandal for those that want an open toe area.
3) CHACO WOMEN’S Z/CLOUD X2
- Stylish and rugged
- Double strap uppers give a wraparound customized fit
- Toe loop for secure footing and movement
- Dual-density polyurethane (PU) midsole for incredible cushioning
- Vegan-friendly construction
- Non-marking rubber outsole
- Tread and rubber compound of the outsole ensures superior wet traction
Why get this hiking sandal? This sandal gets top points for being both stylish and rugged.
4) TEVA HURRICANE XLT2 ALP
- A rugged sole and more fashionable upper straps
- Super durable polyester webbing upper
- Water-ready sandals
- Thinner webbing in the forefoot locks in feet securely
- Thicker webbing around the heel and instep area provides great support
- Neoprene underlays in the forefoot keeps straps in place and foot comfortable
- Easy on and off buckle
Why get this hiking sandal? Rugged sole with a throwback Teva strap style.
5) KEEN WOMEN’S WHISPER
- Lightweight performance hiking sandal
- Prides itself as a women’s specific fit
- Toe protection and more coverage on top of the foot
- Elastic cording offers an easy to adjust and secure fit
- Multi-directional lug pattern tread for solid traction
- Thermoplastic polyurethane (TPU) stability shank
- Metatomical footbed provides excellent support and cradles the natural contours of the foot
- Washable upper (by hand)
- Machine washable hiking sandal
Why get this hiking sandal? A lightweight option that also offers tremendous protection of the feet.
6) CHACO WOMEN’S Z/VOLV 2
- Ultralight hiking sandal (20% lighter than Classic Z sandals by Chaco)
- A modern more stylish look
- Pull-through adjustable webbing straps
- Toe loop to keep foot secure
- Vegan friendly and rubber outsole with 25% recycled materials
- Extra-soft PU compound used in midsole for exceptional comfort
Why get this hiking sandal? Perfect for those that want an ultralight women’s hiking sandal that is also stylish.
7) KEEN WOMEN’S CLEARWATER CNX
- Cool sporty look
- Flexibility, fit and protection in a lightweight sandal
- Bungee lacing for a custom and secure fit
- Multi-directional grooves in the tread for natural flexibility and improved ground contact
- Contoured arch support
- TPU stability shank
- PFC free materials
- Machine washable
Why get this hiking sandal? A great sporty and lightweight hiking sandal for women.
8) TEVA HURRICANE XLT INFINITY
- A more stylish hiking sandal
- Elegant infinity upper crafted from a single piece of lightweight webbing
- Polyester webbing is soft against the skin
- Zinc-based anti-microbial treatment
- is super durable and provides great traction
- Nylon shank stabilizes and supports your foot
Why get this hiking sandal? This hiking sandal is all about style points. Aka “cute hiking sandal for women”
9) CHACO WOMEN’S ODYSSEY SANDAL
- An all-terrain, closed-toe sport sandal
- More durable like a hiking shoe
- Breathable mesh upper
- Non-marking outsole
- Women’s specific dual density EVR midsole
Why get this hiking sandal? Combines the look of a sandal and a shoe.
10) ECCO OFFROAD TOGGLE OPEN SANDALS
- Lightweight, supportive, functional design
- Easy single pull bungee lace up system
- Comfortable molded EVA footbed
- Carbon fiber shank
- Versatile multi-sport sandal
Why get this hiking sandal? Another sandal that leans towards being a lightweight hiking shoe.
So, there you have it, the best hiking sandals for women to buy for Spring and Summer 2019. If you are backpacking, trekking, or camping this year any of these hiking sandals are a fantastic complement to your hiking shoes or hiking boots. Especially, if you plan on hiking in wet conditions.